Hey, long time no see! Not for the lack of sewing, more for the lack of photographing opportunities. You see, I’ve been sewing up a storm, and even though I got some photos done today, I still have five garments to snap. Oh snap (I just had to!)
But to the point, remember this?
I had a bunch of this awesomely energetic zigzaggy knit left, I thought it was enough for a small skirt, but I was afraid to do something inappropriate with it. I tossed and turned every night, thinking about what to do with it. It was calling my name all the way from the depths of my basement, and whenever I was near it, we exchanged tormented glances. At the same time, I kept thinking about what else I could do with it, but I did not want to do another top involving black panels, too much like the first top. Also, this whole entire time, I was longing for a peplum top. And finally I put two and two together aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand:
See? I got a peplum top! The journey that took me there was long and convoluted, but once I decided that I would make peplum out of that zigzag, I quicly drafted it and cut it out. I did not have enough fabric to cut it all out in one piece, so I did it in halves. Then I discovered that I screwed up my math or something (surprise, surprise) and it was not a circle. So I added two wedge-shaped pieces on each side, and abandoned the project for a few weeks. When I was ready to resume, I decided that I would do a panel of zigzag in the front, but I really, really did not want to sew up another boring black t-shirt from scratch. So I did not, I found a brand new men’s basic T, which was totally hideous and a bit too tight, and I would never get any wear out of it. Since you’re dying to see how fugly it was, here you go:
I know, right? I cut out the centre piece, serged it in place (with white thread, doh), cut out a V-neck, and… Abandoned it for several weeks again. Finally, I got my grove back. I attached the neckband, decided that I liked the sleeves the way they were, attached the peplum (I even reinforced the waist with an elastic) and discover that it looked like a figure-skating outfit. Doom and gloom, I was so bummed out I forgot to take a picture at that stage. And then I decided to revisit StephC’s of 3HoursPast post on peplums. As always, illuminating! You see, when it goes to getting proper technical advice on how things are done, that is the place to go. I will admit that about 65% of what I know about working with knits I know from Steph’s blog. She is an absolute treasure and a mine of priceless information. I know all that because I’ve been lurking on her blog for a long, long time. But I digress. I found what the problem was, my peplum was too long. So I cut it, did a rolled hem with the serger (no patience left for anything fancy). Ta-da.
PS. All the remaining zigzag scraps went into the garbage. Don’t call my name no more, I need to sleep!