At the beginning of the year (or was it the end of last year?) I committed myself to hosting the August “challenge” for the Stashbusters. Little did I know about the madness that was going to unfold in the months ahead! The said madness, as mad as it was, has been amazingly positive, my family and I have made a jump into an entirely different orbit, a much higher orbit! After 2 months of prep we sold our house in the city, bought a house in a much, much smaller city, then did massive amounts of renovations (ongoing), and generally we’ve been happy as a family of pigs in the mud! And we adopted a dog as well, he’s been with us for five days now!
Enough excuses, go to work!
This month’s theme is “Face Your Fears!”
Originally I was planning to sew a Burda Magazine pattern out of some chiffon fabric. I swear, both BM and chiffon make me hyperventilate and dry heave at the same time! During the madness of last 6 months, I discovered the following:
- I have no interest in sewing Burda stuff. I also have not discovered where I packed those mags, and it still will be SEVERAL months until I rediscover them (how convenient!)
- I have no interest in sewing with chiffon. I have acquired a MAJOR dislike for polyester, and also a dislike for silk, mostly for ethical reasons. Currently, I don’t want to touch silk with 10-foot pole…
- I have discovered that I am TERRIFIED of sewing! I have fallen out of practice, and sewing is NOT like riding a bike! I tried to make a dress, and I messed up the neck binding so badly that it’s not wearable (or is it?)
- My another fear is wearing white. I have always had a dislike for colour white, an probably because black is supposed to be slimming, so white is supposed to be… fattening? So why won’t I just not wear white, you ask? Well, that is a topic for another post, stay tuned! BTW, this also has to do with point #2.
- Last but not least, I fear going shopping for clothes at a mall! I am quickly running out of clothes, my me-mades are really worn down, not mentioning that it’s been a while (3 years?) since I actually purchased clothes, other than the unmentionables and a few t-shirts, which are mostly white (LOL!!!)! If I don’t make something quick, you get the picture…
So, there is only one solution to my problems: SEW, SEW, SEW, SEW LIKE MAD!!!
And how about you, dear reader? A few follow Stashbusters chimed in with welt pockets and fitted dresses, but how about YOU? Is it a technical thing, a certain type or brand of patterns, a fabric, a colour, a silhouette? Do post your comments, and let’s have a link party! And get out there, out of your comfort zone, face those fears, and round kick them in the face and show them who’s the boss! DO IT!!!