How ya all doin? Nursing your turkey hangover? For those who don’t know, yesterday we celebrated Thanksgiving here in Canada. This is what I wore to the exquisite dinner at my mother’s-in-law:
You like? Yes, it is a Laurel by Colette, and I love her to bits!
The fabric I bought at King Textile, on my last day working there (I know, but to make a long story short, it was not the right fit for me, and now I work somewhere else, where I’m much happier). Anyhoo, I intended to make pants from that fabric, since it is a nice, thin satiny twill, with a little bit of stretch, in the coolest finger-print pattern in pinks and lime green. One of my co-workers convinced me that I needed to make a go-go dress from it. I thought she was crazy, but the seed got planted…
For a long time I wanted to make something from an indie pattern, but I was a bit concerned about selecting one that would be just wrong, like the Sewaholic patterns which are drafted for pear-shaped ladies. And if you factor in the steep price, it makes one think twice, no? But I did my research, scoured blogs and Flickr for pictures of dresses, and found tons of cylindrically shaped ladies (like myself) who made awesome Laurels. Sold!!! I read carefully about adjustments most women had to do, so I’ve decided to sew very cautiously, doing tons of baste fittings, instead of doing a proper muslin. Right off the bat I did the sway-back adjustment, took off 3″ off the lower back. I should have taken off additional 1″ from mid-back as well, but I kinda forgot to do that… Instead, I raised the back shoulder seam a bit, and it helped the situation somewhat. I found that I had to take most if the seams a lot, especially around the hips. I also added little tucks at the waist for a bit of shaping there. And as always, I convinced myself that I did not need to do a full-bust-adjustmnet… I have to say, it is the most forgivable garment that I’ve ever made, other than a t-shirt… The moderate stretch of the fabric, the print, and the pattern make it so easy to work with and wear it! I wore this dress to the Thanksgiving feast yesterday, and boy oh boy, it felt great not having to undo any buttons around my waist!!!
But not all was sunshine and lollipops with this particular make. The print and colour was a problem #1. After I put the shell of the dress together, I discovered that the green totally washes me out. Also, there was so much craziness going on with that print that I needed to break it up somehow. So I decided to do it by adding another colour (I know, right?). I settled for denim for a trim around the neck, and cuffs, and maybe a pocket or two. I loved the look of it, but hated how heavy the denim was next to the main fabric. So I settled for thinner black, abandoned the pockets idea, decided to make little ruffles for more impact, and add a little pretend tie for a bit of a vertical interest. Voila! And then I got to play with my blind hem foot, for the first time evah! So cool!!!
So, to sum up, I will not be resting on this Laurel, I will make another version. In less crazy print, in a smaller size (my 3 months of eating salads for lunch and working a retail job is paying off in multitude of ways), with a full-bust adjustment, 3/4″ off mid-back, much narrower hips with an addition of a slit on the side or at the back, and possibly narrower sleeves. And the BEST part is that I have enough of this super-awesome fingerprint fabric to make a pair of pants!!!
Have a good day, peeps!