I need to say it again, I LOVE my Stashbusting Sewalong 2015 gang! They are so inspiring, encouraging, and generous, always willing to share a tip or a piece of advice. I am in awe of all the boundary pushing action that was happening all August long. I can’t even begin to pretend that I have a plan for this roundup post, so why won’t I just vomit it out? Ready?
- Here, lovely Jewel of Jewberly Emiris is sending her fear of matching patterns straight to hell. Bye-bye!
2. “Perfect is good. Done is better” is a new mantra that I should adopt (and shouldn’t we all?), courtesy of Alla of Rainbows. Bunnies. Cupcakes. She tackled her fear of free motion quilting, and won big time! Great job!
3. Next, Andrea of Obsessive Creativeness, the lingerie guru! Considering that a swimsuit is pretty much lingerie you can wear outside (no?), I was very surprised that it was Andrea’s fear. I was not surprised to see the awesomeness she came up with!
4. Not all of us faced exclusively their sewing fears. Melissa of Mahlicadesigns, who described herself as an introvert, reached out to the sewing community and hosted a sew-along! If you hurry, you can still participate, the sew-along goes until September 6! BTW, I absolutely ADORE that skirt!!!
5. Now, would you look at Allie J. dropkick her fear of knits into total oblivion?! Wow! So cute, so fearless, so Cocolicious! Seriously, go look at her dress, because I don’t seem to be able to post her picture here!
6. And check out the new mom Becky of Sew and So, totally winging an awesome flamingo (see what I did there?) skirt, without a pattern. Bravo!
7. And there is our Fadanista, Sue! Not only does she machine knit her own fabric, but she also claims that she is afraid to sew it! And speaking of making her own fabric, check out her shenanigans here as well!
So, what else have we not tackled? Winter coats? Slippery or sheer fabrics? Shirring? Lots more on the FB page, however I only included those with blogs in this post, and I am sorry for that…
And what have I done, you ask? I took this theme quite seriously and broadly, and I figured out that I am most afraid of not allowing myself to be me, in mind and body. So what did I do to face this fear? I grew my body hair! Would you like a visual of that? No? OK…
I must have been 13 or 14 years old when I declared war on my body hair, most of the time referring to it as: Ewwwwww, must get rid of it quick! But how can you really, truly like yourself if you despise such a basic aspect of your physical persona as your body hair? And who came up with the idea that women should shave, or remove by other means, hair from close to 50% of their body surface? And why should I participate in all that? Definitely not my idea of a good time. Now, I quite like the feeling of long hairs on my legs, they are so soft when they get longer. In the midst of all that, I made two easy dresses, one of them a maxi (for when I don’t feel like being looked at as a freak). And why have I not posted pictures? Because the dresses still require shirring, and I’m not up to tackling THAT!